• Nicole Tagart

Makeup Dictionary

When I first started with makeup I heard a ton of different terms that only confused me. Highlight or highlighter? Were they the same or different? What the heck is a cut crease? There are so many different terms that makeup professionals throw around that it's hard to keep up. Heck, seems like every day they're coming up with new ones. This is why I have compiled a list to help define them and hopefully demystify them for you!

Airbrushing- Applying face makeup with an airbrush, which gently sprays on a combination of foundation and air for a completely even coat.

Baking- Applying translucent powder onto areas you've applied concealer (ex. Under eye area) for 5 to 10 minutes, allowing your foundation and concealer to set. The powder traps the heat in a "bakes" your face at 98.6°F.

Bronzer- is used to emulate a sun-kissed glow and enhance a tan. Bronzing makeup can be used to darken areas of the skin without masking it, or to add warmth using a warm toned shade. Bronzer is a great way to make your skin look radiant and healthy

Brow Bone- Area right under the brow. Best brush: Small to medium dome brush using a light to neutral matte or shimmery shade

Contouring - When you use a matte powder, liquid, cream, or stick product that's a few shades darker than your skin tone to shade areas you'd like to define or reshape, like your nose, forehead, chin, and cheekbones. Contouring shades should be cool toned to mimic shadows.

Crease- The space between your eye ball and brow bone. Creates a crease when you open your eye. Follow the bone structure, not the skin. Best brush: Dome shaped brush to get into the crease using medium to dark matte shades.

Cut Crease- Using different colored eye makeup to cut across the eyelid to form a sharp contrast in colors. The sharp cut is not blended, forming a clear crease on the eyelid.

Draping- Contouring using blush resulting in a softer, fresher approach to definition

Eyelid (outer, middle, inner)- Largest area on the eye to apply eyeshadow. Best brush: Flat shader bush to pack on product

Fallout- Particles of eyeshadow that fall onto the face after blending.

Foiling- Mixing your powder shadow or pigment with a makeup base, usually setting spray. Foiling is important in making your eye makeup last longer and won't crease.

Halo- Also called "spotlight" where you place a very light eyeshadow shade on the middle lid, sandwiched between darker shades on the outer and inner lid. This gives the eye a larger and more round appearance.

Highlighting- Offsets contouring by accentuating areas of your face that naturally catch the light with concealer or highlighter. For a matte highlight, for example, use a concealer that's two shades lighter than your skin tone.

Highlighter - If you love to be extra with your glow — aka you want something with more shimmer or glimmer — go with a powder, cream, or liquid highlighter of your choice.

Hooded Eyes- These eyes feature an extra layer of skin that droops over the crease, causing the lid to appear smaller.

Inner Corner- The innermost area of the eye, near the tear duct. Best brush: Small dome or small flat brush using light/ bright shimmery color to brighten and open up the eyes.

Lower Lash line- Area just under the bottom lashes. Best brush: A fine angled or pencil brush with medium to dark shade

Outer V- Outer corner of the eye; from lash time to crease. Best brush: Outer V brush to deepen area with dark matte colors

Primer- A cosmetic designed to smooth and conceal fine lines and uneven texture. Helps other cosmetics, such as foundation, adhere properly to the skin and last longer.

Skin Polishing Foundation Technique- A technique where you 'polish' the skin with foundation to give the skin an airbrushed appearance. Check out my how-to video here

Stippling- Using a stippling brush, you apply liquid makeup foundation by dotting it onto your face. The result is an airbrushed effect that seems to diffuse any imperfections.

Strobing- Layering different mediums of highlight over one another (ex. layering powder highlight overtop a cream of liquid highlight)

Transition area- Area right above the crease. Best Brush: Fluffy to dome shaped brush to really blend out colors using a light to medium matte shadow.

If there is a term that I didn't cover that you're not sure about, please message me! I will be adding to this list as new and confusing terms pop up!




Get in Touch

Nicole Tagart